FAQRegisterLogin

So discussion: Short-term games/one shots versus chronicles

Discuss past one-shot and limited run games.

Re: So discussion: Short-term games/one shots versus chronicles

Postby Jonny Reload on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Barinthus wrote:But Nick- I know they said you can't keep having cheese pizza throughout the year.. but I really like trying different kinds of pizza anyway so, it's okay! I like variety!

Freak! Who the hell can't eat cheese pizza for you a year?!?
(If your Long Term LARP doesn't have enough variety to begin with, your probably playing said TV Novela LARP from up above.)
-Nick

"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix
Jonny Reload

Postby AJ on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Otsp wrote:Oh wow, this thread has been dead for over a year.

And now it has risen! Nothing like a little reanimator serum...

Otsp wrote:Well, I have a one-shot I'm itching to run, but it runs best with 18-24ish players so I need to meet a few more people in this city before I start trying to organize anything. If it's cool with the mods here maybe I'll post an interest-check thread here eventually, though?

Please do. I'd love to see what you have in mind.
AJ
Prince of the City

Postby Barinthus on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:09 pm

Jonny Reload wrote:
Barinthus wrote:But Nick- I know they said you can't keep having cheese pizza throughout the year.. but I really like trying different kinds of pizza anyway so, it's okay! I like variety!

Freak! Who the hell can't eat cheese pizza for you a year?!?
(If your Long Term LARP doesn't have enough variety to begin with, your probably playing said TV Novela LARP from up above.)

Lawl. I can't eat cheese pizza all year online. I'll have to add spices and whatnot or try it from different places.

(Okay- it's gone on for too long. Long term games can be fun but after a year or so I get an itch to try a different setting, that is, unless that long term game is being particularly awesome. But even then, I don't think I could play in a vampire or whatever game for 2 years+. I think a one shot thrown in every now and then helps keep the setting boredom away. Which can easily be sated by a tabletop, in my case.)
- Carpe Noctem
Barinthus

Postby sleepingmiracle on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Barinthus wrote: But even then, I don't think I could play in a vampire or whatever game for 2 years+. I think a one shot thrown in every now and then helps keep the setting boredom away. Which can easily be sated by a tabletop, in my case.)

In my experience, most long term games are broken into chronicles, which helps greatly with pacing; however, this doesn't mean that familiarity won't breed contempt. I like short term games to punctuate long term ones because otherwise things would get boring, but also because a lot of these one shots are at conventions, giving me an opportunity to game in new styles and with different people. That freshens up my perspective, and adds to my long term game experience. The vibes are so completely different. I almost feel freer in a short term because I know I might never play that character again, so I want to make it count. Anywho, that's my two cents.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand
sleepingmiracle
Seneschal

Previous

Return to One Shots